Webinar: Lessons Learned from Parks and Streetscape Recycling
Original air date: April 20, 2021 at 12:00pm
Senior Advisor, Busch Systems
Recycling in outdoor parks, streetscapes, and other public spaces can be challenging. The unrestricted, “on-the-go” nature of these public spaces makes them more susceptible to contamination, wear and tear, and other issues.
This webinar recording features a diverse panel of Canadian and US speakers sharing case study examples of successful local programs. The presenters will draw from their own experience discussing where to locate bins, what design features to choose, messaging to put on signs, and more. The program will feature overview presentations, an interactive panel discussion, and an opportunity to share your own insights and questions.
- Best practices & studies
- Best practice guide for public space recycling
- Article about survey study about bin colors, signage and shapes
- Keep America Beautiful’s comprehensive study about litter in the US in 2009. It is not included with the published version, but the same study also showed that adding recycling bins in public spaces can reduce litter, even in locations that have existing trash bins. Email Alec Cooley directly for this addendum to the report, email@example.com.
- Google sheet database of academic research about bin design, signage to influence recycling behavior
- Resources from panelist’s recycling programs:
- District of West Vancouver
- Operation Downtown, Des Moines
- Orange County, NC: